Do you love writing?
Is it your dream to become an author?
You're not alone, but what do you need to do to reach that goal?
We like asking our authors to share their advice with those who want to pursue writing for publication. Here's what Jeannie Chambers said.
Here are my top FIVE writing tips:
1) Just write! Try to write something every day; it may not have anything to do with what you think you want to write, just keep it up.
2) Write as soon as you get up in the morning, and write longhand, not on any device. I learned this from a book by Julia Cameron (The Right to Write). She says to write three pages longhand in order to get stream of consciousness thoughts on paper. You'll be surprised what you end up with.
3) Surround yourself with other writers, editors, publishers, etc. either physically or virtually. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn are great places to create a page for yourself as a WRITER. Remember, you ARE a writer- you don't have to be published to be a writer.
4) Contact your school, local newspaper or local magazines, and ask if you can submit an article or two. You probably won't get paid anything, but the experience is invaluable.
5) Do your homework and read all you can. Read what others have written about writing, and read for fun! Read outside your normal genre, but especially read the genre you're writing about.